Monday, October 20, 2008

Birth-Day Par-Tay

Birthday Dinner

I wasn’t going to have a birthday party. I hate when people obsess over their birthdays, so this year I thought I’d just let it pass by. Of course there was the obligatory family dinner, heretofore described, and maybe I’d go out with the boyfriend, but besides that, no party.

Then, suddenly, it was five days before the big day. People started asking, “What are you doing for your birthday?” and “Are you having a party, going to a bar?” Well I couldn’t say I was doing nothing now, could I? So, I sent out a desperate, last minute e-mail trying to wrangle as many people as I could. And then I started planning for the food.

The plan was to have a little shindig over at Cliff’s apartment, no big deal. There would be friends, drinks and lots of food. I decided on an all-appetizer theme. In case you didn’t know, making all appetizers is hard. Preparing lots of little things, as opposed to a few large items, is pretty labor-intensive. Next time I will keep this in mind.

Anyway, things turned out quite well. I made chicken sate, babaganoush with Lebanese flatbread, blinis with crème fraiche and smoked salmon, Stilton stuffed-mushrooms, and two pork tenderloins. We finished it all off with a delicious chocolate cake courtesy of Aux Delice. Several have asked for recipes, so I thought I’d post some of the good ones.

I don’t want to plagiarize, so I have to give a lot of the credit to the cookbook I used, (even though I’d like to say I made them all up). The book is Appetizers, Finger Good, Buffets & Parties, edited by Bridget Jones, and published by Hermes House. The book is generally clear, and the recipes went well for the most part, although some of the directions were a bit confusing. (A lemon-basil aioli dip went disastrously wrong.) Also, since I prefer to go a little free form sometimes, I made some modifications to the recipes

Chicken Saté

I have to say, this was the hit of the party. It went FAST. I doubled the recipe, and it was about enough for 7 people.

3 boneless chicken breasts
6-inch wooden skewers

For the marinade:
• 12 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 8 tablespoons soy sauce
• 8 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 3-inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
• 6 garlic cloves
• 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
• 2 small fresh red chilies, seeded and chopped
• 4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro


For the peanut sauce:
• 6 tablespoons peanut butter
• 4 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 4 scallions, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves
• 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar


First, prepare the marinade by mixing all of the above ingredients in a bowl. A food processor is not necessary for this, just make sure you whisk it well.

Next, begin preparing the chicken by making sure all the excess fat is removed. Then slice the chicken into 1½-inch cubes. The easiest way to do this is cut it into about 4 strips length wise, and then cut crosswise.

Place the chicken and marinade in a plastic bag, making sure it’s tightly sealed, and place it in the refrigerator to marinate. If you have the time, leave it overnight. That is what I did and the flavors were powerful and clear.

For the peanut sauce, mix all of the ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl making sure it is well blended. You can adjust the sauce with more peanut butter, soy sauce or sugar depending on your preference. I like mine very peanut-y.

When you are getting ready to grill, skewer the chicken, about three pieces per stick. I used a large, two burner, cast iron grill, but you could use a regular outdoor grill or broiler.

If you are using an indoor grill as I did, turn the heat up very high and let the grill get hot before you start. Cook the chicken for about 2 minutes on each side, or until it is golden and cooked through. If you use the broiler, put them in for about 4-5 minutes on a cookie sheet lined with tin foil (to avoid a burned-on mess).

Place skewered chicken on a serving tray with the peanut sauce and enjoy!

No comments: