Sunday, September 7, 2008

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of a Lunch Break

So I know it’s been a while since my last entry. I feel bad about this. I have been lazy. It’s time to get going. What has been going on in my life that I haven’t had time to update, you might ask? Work. Ah yes, the eternal struggle of mankind. I have been working in the city, commuting everyday to midtown. I get up, I get on the train, I pass out until I hit Grand Central Station. I work all day, with a very, I repeat very, short lunch break. I then work some more, and I go home. So after going home, I’m tired. And that my friends, is why I haven’t had much time to update. But this will change I tell you! From now on I promise, at least once a week.

I must say, one thing that really bothers me about my current position is the short lunch break. Everything else is fine, I’m learning a lot, I like the people, but where is the lunch break?! It’s half an hour, 30 minutes. It takes at least 12 to get out of my office, get in line somewhere, order, pay and eat. So that leaves me, oh, 18 minutes to eat. I am the only person I’m aware of who actually goes out to eat. Everyone else eats at their desk. I go out as a matter of principle. It is important that workers have time to take a break.

How can anyone expect anything to get done when an employee is glued to a desk for nine straight hours a day? The mind starts to wander. What will I eat for dinner tonight? Which train should I take? Should I go visit this friend or that friend? Have I called in my prescription? One needs time to think about these things. To function properly at work, bosses should encourage brief respites. They allow for more productive work during the course of the day.

Not to mention the food! Eating is important to me (I think we all know that by now), and I want to have adequate time to do it. Most cities, and New York especially, have great lunchtime choices, ready for the workers mealtime crush. Where have I been going lately? Hale and Hearty soups is a good place to grab a soup or salad. Lots of choices, fast, convenient, healthy. Prêt a Manger has some good stuff (pre-made wraps and sandwichs) and it always smells delicious when I go in for my morning coffee. I’m a big fan of Dishes, whose Asian noodle soup bowl is enough for both lunch and dinner. They also have a diverse breakfast spread. And then let’s not forget all those great places to get a deli sandwich, a slice of pizza, an omelet made. Hey, it’s New York City, you can get anything, and it will generally be pretty damn tasty.

So I take my lunch break. I defy the clock, and I go out. It may not be for long, it may not be anything exciting, but I go back into the office feeling revitalized and ready to be productive. If I were in charge, it would be for an hour, no two! I would encourage my staff to dine at the finest of establishments, Adour, Le Bernadin, Veritas, all on the corporate card! Ok, maybe that’s not quite realistic. But I would encourage at least a brief change of scenery, a break, a rest, so that everyone is happier and gets more done. All I ask is that I get my half-hour, without scrutiny, without judgment. It’s in the best interest of everyone.

No comments: