Tuesday, September 16, 2008

BBQ or Bust?


Some restaurants just don’t quite make it. There are no huge complaints. The service is fine, the food edible, the décor acceptable, but they just don’t hit the mark. Nothing sincerely memorable, or worse, worth going back for. This is the way that I felt about Lookout Hill Smokehouse.

C had wanted to try the place for a while, so I obliged him, and we headed there one quiet Wednesday night. It was after work, and of course, we wanted a drink. One of the reasons C was interested in the place was the extensive bourbon selection, and he ordered one of the nicer options on the list. I ordered my usual glass of wine. The drinks came in jelly glasses. I repeat, jelly glasses. Now this is fine for water, but when you are paying $9 dollars each for a mediocre glass of wine and an expensive shot of bourbon, you want, at least, a vessel that complements the beverage.

On with the food. We decided to split everything so as to have the opportunity to try more. We began with a grilled chicken, hazelnut and apple salad on lamb’s ear lettuce, supposedly a dinner portion. It was petite to say the least. If I had ordered it for my entrée, at $12, I would not have been happy. The taste profile of apples and nuts was fine, but the chicken was dry and chewy.
Our entrée consisted of ribs and a side of macaroni and cheese. The ribs were decent, but once again, nothing amazing. They had a dry rub on them and were tender, but not even close to that falling-off-the-bone goodness that we would have relished. The mac-and-cheese was very creamy (much more so than I would make for myself), in fact, almost liquid between the noodles. However, it was savory and well seasoned, I give them that.

The atmosphere is an attempt at “southern,” I suppose, but not having spent much time down south, I couldn’t be sure. It’s comfortable enough, but the food just isn’t up to par. I might have been more sanguine if the tab had been in the $50 range, but no, ladies and gentlemen, our two meager drinks, appetizer, ribs and mac cost $72.

Save your money and go bbq elsewhere.


Lookout Hill Smokehouse
230 5th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11215
718-399-2161

No comments: