Thursday, November 20, 2008

Stone Park Café

Dined at Stone Park Café today for the second time this month. Both times I sat at the same table, and both meals were equally enjoyable. What stands out most at Stone Park is the freshness and quality of both the produce and the meat . The vegetables are minimally tampered with, allowing the clean flavors to stand out. The protein is showcased through simple preparation and generous portions. The menu also has an equally appealing number of fish and meat dishes, which makes for nice variety and balance.

Last time I visited, several weeks ago with a small party of friends and friends' parents, we were there for dinner. The atmosphere was cool and relaxed with fish prints on the wall and brown paper on the tables. I can’t keep track of everything that was served, but I do recall that my Brussels sprouts salad with goat cheese and duck confit was crunchy and the uncooked Brussels sprouts a real treat. Cliff’s steak tartar was also a very interesting concoction served with a Worcestershire jelly, something I had never encountered before. My main course, tilefish, another first, was light and buttery, yet satisifying.

At brunch today, Stone Park was transformed into the most happening brunch joint in Park Slope. Thank God they take reservations for tables of six or more, otherwise it would have been a very long wait. My bluefish cakes with poached eggs, caper hollandaise and celery root slaw was a great take on the original, and I finished every bite. The short rib hash with eggs was also a hit, along with the biscuits and gravy, a dish rarely seen on the New York scene. The side of pommes frites was devoured by all. My Bloody Mary was good and spicy, which I appreciate, as they aren’t all so. My mom's Bellini was a little dull, the peach juice was apparently not cold, and brought the temperature of the sparkling wine down to a not-so-refreshing temperature.


Stone Park has thus far been consistent in quality. My only real complaint was the loud classic hip-hop music during brunch. I couldn’t hear a thing (some people actually like to converse over a good meal) and not everyone particularly enjoys that genre of music. They were also out of the chicken that my mom ordered at brunch, but failed to tell her until very shortly before our meal was served. She made another choice though, and the problem was quickly resolved.

No comments: